Friday, March 11, 2011

The Merits of Grief

People sometimes think that some types of loss are more important than other kinds. I don't think that way. As a future grief counselor, I see all kinds of grief as valid and important. This comes to mind because today is a particularly sad day for two friends, and while each loss is different, they are both equally heartbreaking to me. If you don't agree, that's okay, but I would ask that you withhold that particular opinion. I normally wouldn't say that, but today I would ask that my friends' heartbreaks be respected.

My friend Christie (not my Matron of Honor, but another friend I've known since high school) unexpectedly lost her husband, Antonio, yesterday after a routine shoulder surgery. He left behind his lovely wife of 15 years and two children ages 13 and 11. He was her soul mate, and I cannot even pretend to know what that pain must feel like for her.

The other heartbreak belongs to my very dear friend, Kim. Her sweet kitty, Simon, went to the Rainbow Bridge this morning. He had been fighting cancer for a little while now, and this morning he joined my precious Cleo in Heaven. Letting your furbaby go is a very difficult thing to do, and Kim was selfless and brave and loving.

If you add in the devastation in Japan this morning, it just feels like a terrible day, and I am looking to God today for comfort for everyone. Please know that to all my friends and family, I love you all and will be thinking of each of you especially...I hope you feel the hugs I am sending out!

1 comment:

Jules - Big Girl Bombshell said...

And SAD days are real and they linger but they DO remind us of what is TRULY important