Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Digging Deep

I spent my Sunday doing something I was sure I couldn't do right now. Kim and I did the Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon Relay. Kim took the first leg, which was 7.1 miles, and she totally rocked it! But I was really anxious about my part. I had 6 miles in front of me, and when Kim and I exchanged the baton, I took off at turtle speed. I knew I couldn't run it. I wasn't even sure if I could walk it. At each mile marker it still felt like an eternity away. Wasn't the end ever going go arrive? I plodded along with people passing me the whole way. But here's what's really cool: People would walk with me a short ways and encourage me. They would tell me I could finish, and they would share their weight loss stories with me. It was amazing! And even though my calves were cramping and I was exhausted, it was the encouragement of others that kept me going. That and my desire to finish, which only grew strong with each step. By the time the finish line was in sight, I called my parents so that they could encourage me over the finish line. And then there were the tears...so I was sobbing, listening to my parents tell me how proud they were, and lumbering across the finish line. It wasn't pretty to see, but I don't care. I did it! I actually did it! I was so scared when I set out, but I really finished it! And Kim and I cried together when we found each other. She knows how hard that was for me. But she knew I could do it. It's so awesome to have so many people believe in you! This was physically the hardest thing I have ever done. But I did it, and I am proud! I ordered my finish line photo, so I will post it here when I get it. Next year? I just might do the whole thing myself! With friends along side me and family at the finish line. That would be the best ever!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I was so proud of you!!! You were an amazing inspiration and I was happy to be along for the journey! Next year, 13.1 miles awaits us :).

Kim said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!! Thank you for posting this! It is so inspirational! Your posts always are. I'm so happy that I found your blog.