Wednesday, May 19, 2010

5K Every Day

This is my new goal: a 5K every day. So what does this mean and how do I plan to do this? Good question! What this means is that every day I work out, I will do a 5K. 3.1 miles on a treadmill or outside. (At least!) So I have to make sure that five days a week I am doing a 5K. And how exactly do I plan to make this happen? This is going to be the hardest part for me. I'm going to either have to get up early, do it at the gym at lunch, or right after I get off work. But there has to be a 5K at least five days a week. So when will this madness begin? Tomorrow. It MUST start tomorrow. And right now, I am saying it will happen after work. I am going to go right to the gym, no going home beforehand. And a 5K will happen. I'll promise to report in and give my time. After after two weeks of this guess what gets added in? 10K Tuesdays! Yup! 6 miles on Tuesdays, but we're going to get into the habit of the 5K every day first. :)

So that's my new goal. I am begging you, friends, to ask me about this and help me stay honest. I won't lie to you...I'll tell you if it doesn't happen, but I know if I suspect you might be checking to see if I did it that I don't want to say I didn't. So I'll do it.

And with each step I get closer to the 13.1 mile finish line in Chicago. My Dad has come to all the 5Ks I've done so far, and he always waits for me close to the finish line and walks me in. It's a cool thing when you're tired and you think you can't go any farther, and then you see your Dad. I remember my first 5K, coming up over a hill and feeling like I could just give up. And there he was, waiting for me and cheering for me. My Dad always makes sure I know he believes in me, and I'm going to need that. I'll miss him in Chicago, but I'll be using my iPhone for my music so perhaps I'll call my Dad and have him get me across that finish line. It's a father-daughter thing, you know? So Dad, on August 1st, you'll probably be getting that phone call from me. I need you to help me finish the climb. I already know I'll want to hear you tell me I can do it, and that will help me stay strong and focused. (Love you, Dad!)

No comments: