Friday, June 15, 2007

The "Peaks and Valleys" Speech

I remember years ago my dad telling me that life has peaks and valleys, because without the valleys, we would never appreciate the peaks. One of my blogger friends is in a very low valley right now, as she has unexpectedly lost her father. Her grief is just beginning to pour into her blog, and I know she has a long path to feeling "normal" again...and normal for her is forever changed. I don't know the depth of her pain. I think it's only something you understand when you are going through it, and no one can sympathize unless they have been there. I'm lucky...I haven't been there, but I know people who have (including my own parents). I've watched people lose a parent, and it's awful and horrible. But I've also seen what happens as time passes and the grief isn't as life consuming as it was...and that's when you can revisit the loving memories without sobbing your heart out every time. (You still do it sometimes, though.)

Unfortunate Serendipity's blog is beautifully written, and I am grateful that she is brave enough to begin sharing a little bit of her grief with her readers. She's a wonderful person. How do I know? Because even though we've never met, she has become a friend to me. We email on occasion, and she's even offered to help me during fashion dilemmas. I don't have to have met her to know that I like her and respect her. (Hey, the woman has great taste in shoes!)

So my blog today is just about my friend and how even though there are no words to ease the pain, maybe the collective healing energy from those who read my blog and send her good thoughts will provide some comfort.

Jerilyn, you are in my prayers.

2 comments:

Blonde said...

You are very fortunate to still have your father with you, and I want to wish him a Happy Father's Day :).

My father was my world and we were always very close. My father died 3 years ago, and everyday feels like it just happened yesterday. I know your friend's pain all too well, and people don't understand it unless they have been through it.

I feel like someone cut me open, took out my heart and sewed me back up to go on with my life. If that sounds painful, try living like that every day.

My heart breaks for your friend...

Anonymous said...

Blonde,

That is quite probably the most accurate description I have heard...it does feel that way. I'm lost and I cannot even find my bearings to try to start healing.

Jen,

Even though we have yet to meet in real life...I count you near and dear to me. You're an inspiration and a wonderful, sweet soul. I echo Blonde's Happy Father's Day wishes to your own daddy.
Once I am 'on my feet' emotionally, I do truly want to meet up with you - - even if it occurs after you becomes a "Mrs."....

Thank you for the kind words and the good thoughts you send. Every tiny thing done, said or thought helps bolster us as we face another day.