Saturday, November 24, 2007

Victory in the Face of Adversity

We all have our demons. The holidays can really bring them out for some people. Maybe for some it's dealing with family, for some it's getting through the holidays and not reverting to bad habits. I fall in the latter category. (I have great family, so that's not a holiday issue for me.) My demon is food. It's been a struggle for me as long as I can remember. I vaguely remember not having a weight issue in elementary school, but even toward the end of that I began to gain weight. Now that I am 35 I have decided that I won't let that control me any more, and just to make my point, I managed to lose 3 pounds this week, even through 2 Thanksgiving meals!! That's a total of 15.2 pounds now! So am I feeling good about this? You better believe it! That gives me the strength to know I can keep this up. It's hard to make smart choices when your mother in law makes Paula Deen's Corn casserole (which starts with a whole stick of butter in the recipe!). But you know, I had a teaspoon of it, and it was good and I moved on! I think I impressed myself with my inner strength. I forget it's there sometimes. But it really is, and I think I reminded myself of that today. I know a lot of people that don't deal with weight/food issues might not understand this particular victory, but it's a very big deal for me. I am working to have 25 pounds off by Christmas. This I can do, but I will need to work for it. I am ashamed to say my workouts were few this past week, but that will change next week. That's what I love about WW...every week is brand new and I can do better than the week before. So here's to a new week and new successes!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! Brace yourselves...the holidays are truly upon us!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Congrats sweetie! I know how hard you try and well, 3 lbs this past Thanksgiving week is awesome :).

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!
I have been slacking off, myself. So, this post - and your success - is the kick in the pants I need!

Here's to more and more of the 'less and less of you'!