Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What's Wrong With People?

I am going to a funeral on Friday, and I think this may be the worst thing ever. My very dear friend Anne's aunt was murdered Sunday night. That's right, murdered. If you live here locally, you probably saw the news story about the woman who was shot by some guy who knocked on her door and she answered it and he just shot her. She and her husband were just watching TV on Sunday night. Some jackass randomly selected their house and ruined everything for them. He didn't steal anything, he just shot her three times and ran off, jumped into a car and drove away. No one knows who this jerk was, and there isn't much evidence. How in the world do you wrap your head around this? There is no reason, rational or irrational. There isn't any way to justify this. It's this huge thing that no one knows how to make peace with. Marianne was a 67 year old woman who, along with her husband, was retired and looking forward to landscaping her back yard. My friend, Anne, is devastated. I have known Anne and her family my entire life. Our moms were best friends since their 7th grade year, so this isn't just something that happened to a casual acquaintance of mine. Although I didn't know her Aunt, I know that there isn't anything I wouldn't do to support Anne's family right now. She was there for my when my Gran passed, and I will be there for her to hold her hand be the best friend I know how to be.

Please be extra cautious. Don't answer the door if you don't know who it is. It sounds so elementary, but it seems that we officially live in an age where you can't even be safe in your own home. And most important, please be sure to hug your family and tell them you love them often. We really just don't know what life will hand us.

1 comment:

Kim said...

My thoughts and prayers go to Anne and her family. I can't even imagine what they are feeling right now. And the fact that it was so random is just mind-boggling!