Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Fragility Of Life

I got a frightening reminder of how fragile we all are. David's best friend, Brian, was in a horrific car accident on Friday morning. I'm not exaggerating. It was awful. It is nothing short of a miracle that he is alive. His accident was a result of his lead foot, and he was rushing to get somewhere when his car it a bump in the road. While I am not clear on the exact details, I can tell you that it ended with his car bursting into flames. Thankfully, moments before that happened he was able to pull himself from the car. Not sure how, since he has ultimately crushed one of his ankles and had compression fractures in two of his lumbar vertebrae. He is lucky to be alive. Had he been knocked unconscious, he might not have been able to get himself out of his car. We have been spending a great deal of time at the hospital, and were excited that he was finally moved from ICU into a regular room yesterday. He's in a great deal of pain, and has a very long road ahead of him, including being confined to a wheelchair for the next few months. We are helping move him out of his second floor apartment this week in anticipation of his release, but I think he will most likely move to a step-down rehab facility before going home. He still needs ankle surgery (which has been postponed due to all the swelling), so I think a rehab facility is a good idea.

All of this to say, it has been a grave reminder of how quickly things can change. I've seen first hand what happens when you drive too fast, so I am begging everyone to slow down and take your time when you're behind the wheel. Brian's story has a good ending, but it could have easily been very different. Please be safe, everyone. I couldn't bear to lose any of you.

1 comment:

Kim said...

WOW! I'm so glad he is okay! I will pray for his recovery.