Thursday, June 03, 2010

Thoughts

So I was reading a question posted by Kathy Lee and Hoda from the Today show this morning (on Facebook). They wanted to know if it was okay to date shorter men. My first thought was that it shouldn't matter...we should date who we're interested in! Is it discriminatory to have preferences? I'm not a skinny girl, and I'm pretty sure that there are men who didn't want to date me for that reason. (which is fine...again, I sure understand that we are attracted to people for different reasons, or not attracted for other reasons.) I guess I wonder where the line is between discrimination and attraction on something like this. I mean, honestly, I love that my husband is taller than me. I like that I can wear high heels and he's still taller. Is that wrong of me? The flip side of that is that I love David so much that I suspect his height wouldn't have mattered to me. I can't say for sure because it's just not the case. But as much as I liked him from the start, I think we'd be together even if he was 5'6". Just saying. :)

But again, people are attracted to others for different reasons, and I'm not sure we should be condemning others because of what they are or aren't into. People on FB were so quick to flame other commenters, but I think it's okay to have preferences. It's certainly NOT okay to be mean about it or degrading about it, though. What do you all think? Am I glossing something over that I shouldn't? Just curious about what others think. God asks us to love our neighbors and not to judge. I agree...but I also think God made us all different shapes and sizes and that ultimately there is someone for everyone. Someone who will love us regardless of height, weight, scars, birthmarks, eye color, food preferences, you name it. As long as we treat everyone with kindness and respect, I think it's okay to have preferences. Again, just be kind about it.

I guess other than that, it's a quiet day. Brian was discharged yesterday and we helped to finish getting him moved. He was happy to be home and in excellent spirits. We are working on ways to turn his chest brace into Iron Man. I spoke with my friend Andy who had some excellent ideas, so I'll be setting to work on that soon. :) Hey, if you're going to have to wear it, it might as well be fun, right?

Happy Thursday, everyone!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

No, I totally agree. Different people are attracted to different things. We can't help that. Everyone is attractive to someone!