Friday, June 11, 2010

Long Day

Mom had her eye surgery today. (Corneal transplant) I didn't realize how worried I was until I started getting antsy about not having heard from Dad. While Mom's surgery is not uncommon, it's still not necessarily the norm and I was ready to know she was good. Now we wait for a few months to really know if it took. (For those who do not know, my mother has Fuch's Dystrophy...it's worth Googling just to get a better idea of what it is...too much info for me to go into here.) She's had one eye done already, and we are hoping this one does well. The surgeon says things went well. She has a follow up this morning, so I am praying that the result is good so far. We are also praying for the family of the person who donated the corneal tissue. While we celebrate my mother's sight improving, another family is feeling the pain of losing a loved one. But that is part of the beauty of organ/tissue donation...someone you love can continue to give selflessly even after they are gone. I have a good friend who was a quadruple organ donation recipient. Someones loss and selfless act saved Robbyn's life. I will always be grateful to that family, too.

I also had an eye appointment yesterday to get more contact lenses. It's nice to not be wearing my glasses again! I had been out of contacts for a few weeks, and I am glad to have them again. I always put off going to the eye doctor because it just doesn't cross my mind. That, and it takes a while. But it's good to check your eye health, everyone!

I am so glad it's Friday, although I will be spending the weekend studying again. Why am I working this hard for a 4-hour class? Between the lecture and the lab, I am swamped! The second half of summer will feel like a vacation even though it's going to be a senior level psychology class! I'm looking forward to that one, too. Anne and I are both taking it online and will be getting together a lot to make sure we are successful in there. Oh, and I will officially be a senior at the end of my Biology class, so I am almost there!!! Yay!

I think that's it for now. I hope everyone has a great Friday!!

No comments: