Monday, April 12, 2010

Landmarks

It's funny how we tie ourselves emotionally to certain things. I watched the demolition of Texas Stadium Sunday morning (from the comfort of my own bed), and as we watched it happen, David and I help hands and didn't even speak. I felt a lump well up in my throat, and my eyes welled up a bit, although neither of us cried...outwardly. It was sad to watch an iconic building reduced to rubble in 60 seconds. I've seen countless concerts there, the last one being the Dave Matthews band with my friend Karen, who passed away about six years ago. I always thought of her when I drove by there and remembered how being at that concert with her was the last time I got to spend with her before she died unexpectedly. I've been to corporate team buildings there, and stood proudly on that star in the middle of the field. You look up at that massive ceiling and felt so small because everything else there was so big! Somewhere I have a picture of that...I just have to find it.

While I never went to a Cowboys game there, I saw my share of high school playoffs. (Go THS Trojans!) And the legends that walked the field...Staubach, Lilly, Aikman, and most importantly Tom Landry. None will ever be forgotten.

So the Cowboys will play on in the House That Jerry Built. It's lovely. I know, I've been there a few times. But I will always have fond memories of Texas Stadium. Nothing replaces the original!

(And on a completely different note, this posting is my 800th blog entry!! Is that crazy? 800!! Stay tuned and see what happens during the next 800!)

No comments: