Tuesday, June 28, 2005

There's no going back now

Well, today is the day: I begin with my personal trainer tonight at 6pm. I think I might die, but I will give it a shot anyhow. I was up at the gym and did about an hour on the treadmill and was so tired last night I could hardly hold a conversation with my mother on the phone when I got home. Needless to say, this trainer (henceforth known by her name, Jaqueline) is going to make mush out of me tonight. I guess I should warn everyone that tomorrow I may not be able to move on my own! However...I am looking forward to the results that will come of this, so it's a good thing. I'm just nervous about it since I've never worked with a trainer before.

Man, I am a little sleepy today! I need to start going to bed earlier. I just get so wound up at night trying to get stuff done that I don't pay attention to the time and end up getting to bed later than I would like.

I really don't have much news today. Oh, Happy Birthday Richard!!

Okay, that's it now. Have a good Tuesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is from Angela Barnette:

How Long Should I Wait Between Workouts?

If you keep pushing while you are sore, then the muscle does not have a chance to grow.

By Richard Weil
WebMD Answers to Questions

Question:

After a good workout at the gym, I feel aches and pains in my muscles. Is it OK to workout again the next day, or should I wait until the soreness goes away?

Answer:

When you lift weights, you break down muscle (specifically protein filaments in the muscle). It's during the recovery period that the muscle recovers and grows due to an influx of protein, testosterone, growth hormone, and other growth factors, fluid, and substrate. The immediate soreness is from lactic acid, but then the lactic acid clears and the soreness you feel for two days or more is from swelling due to the influx of fluid and other substrate.

The soreness is a good sign that you have broken down muscle so it can repair and grow stronger, but if you keep pushing while you are sore, then the muscle does not have a chance to recover and grow fully. Plus, it's probably likely that you don't work at 100% when you are sore, so you're better off waiting if you want to maximize gains.

If you lift weights when the muscle is recovering, then you break it down during a critical period of growth. The idea is to wait until it has recovered before stressing it again. That can take 2-5 days depending on your diet, intensity of the workout, genetics, and other factors. In reality, most people train before the full recovery.

Richard Weil, MEd, CDE, is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He has published dozens of articles on exercise and health and has appeared on many television programs. He also speaks about health at many national conferences.

The opinions expressed herein are the guest's alone and have not been reviewed by a WebMD physician. If you have a question about your health, you should consult your personal physician. This event is meant for informational purposes only.

Published June 13, 2005.