Friday, March 05, 2010

Recipes and Weekly Wind Down

Good morning!! TGIF, right? I am so looking forward to Sweet Tomatoes with Kim tonight...they have tomato soup tonight and I am all over it! :)

I thought I would try and start posting healthy recipes from time to time. Here's one of my favorites for today:

Layered Mexican Chicken Casserole

1 serving olive oil cooking spray (5 one-second sprays)
2 pound uncooked chicken breast, boneless and skinless
30 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cup fat-free sour cream
2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterrey Jack cheese, or Mexican-style cheese blend
8 oz chopped green chilies, two 4-oz cans
2 tsp ground cumin1/2 tsp black pepper12 medium corn tortilla(s), cut into 2-inch strips
1 cup salsa, mild, medium or hot

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a lasagna pan with cooking spray.Place chicken in medium saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover chicken. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes; drain. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add beans, sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheese, chilies, cumin, and pepper; mix well and set aside.Arrange half of tortillas in bottom of prepared lasagna pan, overlapping pieces to cover surface. Top tortillas with half of chicken mixture, layer with remaining tortillas and then top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.Bake until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve with salsa on the side.

If you follow Weight Watchers, this is 12 servings and is 6pt/serving. I ALWAYS cut this recipe in half because it makes a LOT!! It's really good comfort food and isn't hard to make. David and I always enjoy this so much!

So this weekend, I am doing homework. ALL weekend! I have quite a bit that's due next week, and also an Algebra test (gulp!) so I need to get that stuff out of the way. And Sunday is the Oscars!! We always have our special brie and chicken nachos, so that will be my big cheat meal this week. BTW, I am getting up in the morning, going to the gym, and then going to WW. I need to get back into this routine before a few gained pounds becomes a lot of extra pounds.

I hope everyone has a great Friday! It looks like beautiful weather today!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm trying Sweet Tomatoes for the first time next Thursday. I'm excited! Hope it's a good weekend, homework and all!