Monday, November 21, 2005

The Story of the Romantic Dinner

Funny story about the dinner I was making Friday night...true to the way things generally go, it didn't go without a hitch. But it does make for a funny story!

So I was busy preparing dinner Friday evening...chicken, a lovely salad, appetizers, and a very tasty dessert. About 7pm I get a call from David to tell me his plane landed safely. And one more thing...Dallas Love Field was on "lockdown" and no one was being permitted to leave. He didn't know when he was going to be over, but we figured he would be delayed an hour, so no biggie. I was behind schedule anyhow, so it was just fine. He said he would call when he heard anything and I got back to getting things ready. I set the table, made another run to the store, took my shower and thought things were going along fine. Then he called again. Now the rumor was that there was a bomb scare in the parking lot. Great. Still no idea when he could leave, and they were charging $6 for a beer at the Chili's in the airport. What a crock! So now it's going on 8:30, and the chicken is still doing it's thing in the oven and I am getting things wound down as far as preparations go. about 9:15, things are pretty much ready when David calls to say that the word on the street was that there was an unattended bag that looked suspicious and they were waiting for the bomb squad to arrive. Apparently those guys aren't sitting around ready to go at a moment's notice, so it would be another hour. And David is so patient but frustrated. Can you imagine being stuck at Love Field for an evening? I don't like to go there anyhow, but to be stuck there? Forget it! By now the news is beginning to report that there is something going on out there. I already know, people!! My boyfriend is stuck out there and I am spending all evening cooking for him! So a little after 10 I get the best call of the night...he's on his way over!! So I pop the appetizers in the oven and put the chicken on a plate. Everything is rolling along. When he gets over to my apartment, I was so happy to see him! He changed out of his suit and we ate the appetizers and enjoyed some wine. When we were ready to eat, I asked him to carve the chicken, only to find that after 2 hours in the oven, the damn bird wasn't cooked all the way through. Yes, it appears I may have a faulty element in the oven. We put the chicken in for another hour to let it finish cooking, but we were both so tired that we weren't hungry any more, and decided we'd call it a night.

Yeah, really romantic dinner.

But the best part of it was that he was so appreciative of my efforts and went on and on about how special it was that I had done that for him. I swear I wasn't trying to serve him the salmonella special!! How embarassing!

And that, my friends, is the story of the romantic dinner.

A special note to the jackass that intentionally left the bag at the airport and then called in a fake bomb scare...you're a jerk and I hope they lock you up for a while! Not only did you jack up my evening, you jacked up a lot of people's evenings. Okay...done with the rant.

The rest of the weekend was good. Saw the new Harry Potter movie, played darts Saturday night (which is really tough with my useless finger right now!), and got lots of rest. My allergies are still acting up, and I had to miss the Saints and Sinners show at Trees last night. I am ready to feel better!!!

So have a good Monday! Thank goodness it's a short week!

No comments: