Wednesday, August 03, 2005

What People Say When They Think You Can't Hear

Ever wondered what people say about you when they don't know you're listening? I found out yesterday. I went to the gym after work, and I went into the ladies' locker room to change clothes. The locker rooms are designed so that there isn't a door but no one can see into the room, which means you can hear people talking in the hallway. I had finished changing and sat down to put my shoes on, when I hear Doug, the owner (and my trainer's fiancee), talking about one of Jackie's clients who has lost a significant amount of weight. This piqued my interest, as I am always interested in other people's success stories, so I listened a little closer. He went on to say that he knew this girl was going to reach her goal, because he had never seen anyone with this kind of drive and determination. Again, I found myself thinking how great this girl must be doing! So I get ready to work out and walk around the corner, and there's Doug and two of his clients. Doug looks at me and says "speak of the devil!" Me! He was talking about ME!!! So the guys were very interested in how I had lost weight and how long I had been working out. I answered questions and then went on to go work with Jackie. A little later, Doug came by and thanked me for "lighting a fire" under his clients, and he had hoped he didn't embarrass me. Embarass me? Who wouldn't love a pat on the back like that? That made me feel like a million dollars. So now I know what some people say about me behind my back. And it makes me feel good!

No comments: