Thursday, July 21, 2005

Getting Back to My Roots

As I looked in the mirror this morning, I noticed that my roots are growing out...badly! It is time, my friends, to get those grays covered! The advantage to having your hairstylist as your best friend is that you get your hair cut for free in the comfort of your own kitchen. The disadvantage, though, is that you are at the mercy of her schedule. And where she is working right now charges way more than I want to pay, so at best I don't know if she can do a cut and color within the next week. And folks, it's getting to be a desperate situation. However, when that day comes, I have elected to go back to a lovely coffee brown with no highlights. That's my natural color anyhow. I realize just how important this is to everyone, but it was a big deal when trying to do something to my hair this morning and realizing the roots are grown out and the ends are thrashed! (I need about 1-2 inches taken off!!)

I had a discussion with Mia this morning about how much time and money we put into self-maintenance. The haircuts, the eyebrow waxing, the shaving, the skin care, the personal trainer...it gets expensive and very time consuming. Sometimes slightly uncomfortable, too. But for all the complaining, I like doing that stuff. It's nice to do all those things that make you feel good, and the end result is worth it! The manicures, the pedicures, the facials...all of it makes me feel better about myself, so you can rest assured that my money will continue to go to all those things. What do guys do for maintenance besides a shave and a haircut? Do any of you get manicures or facials? I would love to think at least a few of you take the time to do something like that on occasion!

If only I could win the lottery to support my self indulgences!

1 comment:

tom said...

For myself? I like to give foot massages and pedicures, but I don't get them. I try to by good skin products and many men don't do that.

I go to a downtown barbershop that reminds people of the one in the movie Coming to America. I see that same old guy who cuts my hair and gives me a neck massage and close shave. I feel good and handsome after that.