Thursday, July 07, 2005

Terrible Events in London

How awful it was to wake up to hear the news this morning. More terrorist attacks in the world today, and having just been in London a month ago, I am feeling very shaken up. I missed those attacks by a month exactly. Kim and I would have been on the train heading into the Waterloo station. Certainly we would have been stopped before reaching London, but now I can't help but think of all those people that we might have passed on the street, or the smiling officer outside New Scotland Yard who gave us directions to Buckingham Palace. I bet they are all having a life-changing day today. I wonder now if I passed through any of those stations. King's Cross sounds familiar to me, but I can't be sure. I'll have to look at the Tube map at home. But it makes me so sad. Everyone there was so friendly to us. And I say a little prayer for Kim's friend, Kevin Pope, who was so willing to take us walking all over London and made it an even more wonderful experience. I hope he's ok.

So today, rather than babble on about my usual trivial things like did I lose a half pound, or my arms are sore from working with my trainer, I would just ask that you send good thoughts to our friends in London. They surely thought of us when New York was attacked.

And hug someone today...I think the greatest defense against all the meanness in the world is compassion for others in the world. If we love one another, we are less likely to commit acts of hate on each other. (I guess it's just the optimist in me)

1 comment:

Kim said...

To all: Kevin is okay. I heard from him this morning. Both he and his fiance were not in London at the time.