Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The IKEA Phenomenon

Every day gets us one day closer to the IKEA grand opening. If you have never been to an IKEA before, this is a fun place to shop. You can get some good deals and it really is different than a lot of stores. But from someone who has been to an IKEA, please allow me to share some thoughts. IKEA will not close the day after their grand opening, so don't rush to get there the first day! As a matter of fact, I plan to wait until at least October to go. That way, all the people who are swept up in the hype that the newsmedia keeps pumping up will have had a chance to go and be amazed by the store. Anyone who knows me is well aware that even a trip to a crowded Wal-Mart just makes me really grumpy. My waiting until October is better for us all. My other thought is this...it's a furniture store, people. It won't make the world a better place, it won't bring peace to the world, and it won't restore harmony among our neighbors. Perspective, please!

Which brings me to something else important. My friend Anne has been suffering through unbelievable headaches for the last four months. She's seen 9 doctors and is going to a neurologist tomorrow. To top things off, her boyfriend (seems so trivial to call him that...they are very serious and have been together for quite a while) is in the reserves and has been called up to go to Iraq at the end of the year. I won't go into past history, but this girl has already had a tough time in life and still manages to have a very positive attitude. So please send her good thoughts, too!

Now on to my normal trivial stuff. I am so sore from working out last night! Jacqueline worked me out hard, and I am really feeling it today! We're going to start sprint training on Friday. I told her that at some point I wanted to start running, and apparently that will start Friday! (Just small intervals on the treadmill...I'm just starting out and she doesn't make me do anything that will actually kill me!)

Going to go see Gran tonight. She's doing well and I am so proud of her attitude!

Oh, and Happy Birthday Rich! (That's Christy's fiancee)

2 comments:

tom said...

“Anyone who knows me is well aware that even a trip to a crowded Wal-Mart just makes me really grumpy.”

Yes! I hated Disneyland when I was a child because of the crowds.

“...it's a furniture store, people. It won't make the world a better place, it won't bring peace to the world, and it won't restore harmony among our neighbors. Perspective, please!”

Funny. It is not even a ladies’ shoe store!

Best wishes to Anne. I actually read once where shorter hair can help chronic headaches.

Now you are running? When are we going to get to see a picture of your gorgeous body in a cocktail dress? I suggest photographic evidence of your transformation for the blog.

Anonymous said...

doo doo de doo doo