Friday, May 06, 2005

I understand why we should savor every moment with the ones we love

I had a really good night last night, and I wasn't expecting it. To bring everyone up to speed, my Gran hasn't been doing as well as we would like. She hasn't been able to do her PT, so she still can't walk and it's very frustrating to her. She's been battling depression, and with everything he's been through in the last few months, I can't blame her one bit. My mother went to see her on Wednesday night, and it wasn't good. Gran was very confused, very disoriented and incoherent at times, so when I was on my way to see her last night I didn't know what to expect, and that can be a little scary. So when I got to her room she was sleeping, but she was a bit shaky in her sleep. I sat next to her and just asked God to be merciful. Then she woke up and was very lucid and knew where she was, what day it was... everything! We had a great visit! She's being moved to a nursing home today, which is a difficult step for our whole family, but my grandfather has visited the facility several times, checked the BBB for any complaints, done a lot of research, and he feels this is a safe place for her to be. We all wish she was going home, but my grandfather just can't take care of her by himself. (He's 85 and just can't do it) Gran told me last night that she wasn't scared, but that she was just "curious" to see how things would be at the new place. I love her so much and I hate this for her, but maybe more time for her body to recover will be helpful. As I rubbed her legs for her last night, her shaking really subsided, and I guess I like to think I was able to help her relax and rest. We talked about so many things, and I got a little weepy on the way home because I was feeling so grateful for such a good visit. I'm going to spend a big part of Saturday with her in the new place, and I thought roses would be a nice way to brighten her room. It's just a small something I can do for her that might bring a little cheer.

Still trying to make sure I get that .5 pound off. I haven't gotten as much exercise in this week as I had hoped, but I got in more than last week, so cross your fingers!

Have a lovely Friday everyone! :)

FYI...four weeks from tomorow Kim and I leave for Paris!!

No comments: